Sunday, July 3, 2011

OUR AMERICAN CELEBRATION. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!




For as long as I can remember, the 4th of July was always a time of fun and celebration.  Growing up in a small, western Pennsylvania town, it was very exciting.  There were city fairs put on by the local firemen (all voluntary) to raise money for the local fire hall, parades, competitions with the other local fire departments, big family barbecues, and of course, fireworks.  It always was a great holiday but I never realized what it was all about until my brother left to serve in the Vietnam War.  Then I understood it was about sacrificing to serve your country for things that I took for granted.  Seeing him leave and watching the news every night changed the meaning for me.  Since then, several trips to third-world dictatorships have multiplied my thankfulness for the blessings we have here.  Now I really appreciate what a sacrifice all of those who served made for me and this nation.


As I celebrate Independence Day this year, it will not only be a great time to enjoy family, friends, food, and fireworks and to reflect on childhood fun, but it also will be a time to remember the price that was paid for us to enjoy the freedoms we have here in the United States.


As you spend time with your loved ones, please remember to celebrate and honor the many who have offered the ultimate sacrifice for our benefit.


I hope you have a happy Fourth.  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment