Saturday, August 6, 2011

MULTI-TASKING MUSINGS

Monday will be two weeks since my surgery.  With my main objective being to recover as quickly as possible, it has been surprising that I have been challenged to also conduct business.  It has really been testing to successfully do two things at the same time: healing my body while concentrating on yacht negotiations.  Why is it so difficult to do both when there is plenty of time during the day for everything?  Perhaps I was unprepared for the stress of surgery -- and a little impatient for healing.

Recovery is coming along well, though.  Every day I am stronger and have less pain.  The exercises that the therapists recommend are embarrassing for an old athlete -- simple things like tightening gluts and walking in place.  I understand that to recover, I need to go back to the basics and build from the beginning to be able to walk again without limping.  Always having the desire to push to the limit, I constantly tell myself to do only what is asked and no more; overdoing will just lead to extended recovery.  I guess the body needs time to recover each day and overdoing the exercises only prolongs the time to progress to the next level.  I've disciplined myself now to do only what is asked.

Trying to conduct business when my mind is on healing my hip seems to be more troublesome than expected.  Concentrating is difficult.  I guess the anesthesia and trauma may have taken their toll.  But I've decided to take council from the physical trainer and restart from the roots.  Its probably good to go back and start with basic calls and communications.  Pushing at this point might only set me back and hinder my business recovery.  Isn't it interesting how we need to return to the fundamentals in life every once in awhile?  I should have realized...  During my athletic career, we would start each season practicing the elemental skills and then progress to more challenging game situations so we would be ready to compete on a higher level.

Now that I think I understand progression in healing, I will carry it over to business and to my life in general.  Please don't misunderstand: I surely don't think you need a physical impairment to start from the basics and certainly don't recommend surgery to progress your business.  But I do recommend a little basic training every year to review foundational and key aims and objectives.

Can anyone relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment