Thursday, August 4, 2011

SUCCESSFUL HIP SURGERY!



My apologies for the long delay in posts to this blog.  About ten days ago, I had hip resurfacing surgery and, after four days in the hospital, have been recovering at home.

For about 5 years, hip pain limited all the things I love to do.  Even walking was becoming very difficult and I couldn't do that without a serious limp.

Being a life-long athlete, I worked on trying to "fix" my hip by myself for years, but nothing worked for longer than a week.  As soon as I thought I was healing, the pain would return and I would be limping in pain again.

I found a great doctor in Jupiter, Florida -- Dr. Vincent Fowble -- who recommended the resurface procedure because, rather than cutting the head of the femur, it is machined and capped with a ball.  The device should last about 15 years and then I will still have the option of total replacement to extend the usefulness of the joint.  Soon, I should be restored to a very active live, even to playing basketball (a little further down the road)!

I thought since I was in very good shape, the recovery would be easy and I would be back to work quickly.  Its only been ten days, but I think I was a bit optimistic on the recovery time, although each day I feel better and stronger.  Simple things like getting out of bed are difficult, but each day I see improvement and progress.  I expected the hip pain, but am surprised by the soreness of other muscles like my lower back, arms, shoulders, and neck.  However, on Tuesday, the staples were removed and tomorrow I'll be in the pool, working out some of the kinks.  I can't wait!  I just have to keep reminding myself that this was major surgery and if I take time for recovery and do it right, I'll be reaping the benefits soon and for years to come.

Should I have waited 5 years to have the surgery?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I lost all that time trying to heal a joint that was damaged beyond repair and suffering the pain of just walking.  Would I recommend this procedure?  Most definitely!  And I highly recommend Dr. Fowble of Palm Beach Orthopedic Institute (http://www.pboi.com/physicians/vincent-fowble/) and Jupiter Medical Center.

More on that next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment